Monday, July 18, 2005

Poppy Seed Cake

You'll find no lemon here. Sorry - I don't much like the lemony deserts. I try all the recipes on this site before I post them, so rest assured, I am only posting the good ones. This little cake went with me to Sunday's potluck lunch at our church, and it disappeared - every bite! It is also a really EASY recipe and requires not much more than a bunch of dumping and mixing...

INGREDIENTS:

  • 1 Box Duncan Hines Yellow Cake Mix (or any butter/yellow/golden cake mix)
  • 4 eggs
  • 3/4 cup oil (I used grapeseed)
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 cup sour cream (I used Horizon's Organic Low Fat)
  • 1/4 cup poppy seed
ICING:

  • 8 oz. cream cheese
  • 1/2 cup oleo (I used 2 sticks softened butter)
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 box powdered sugar
Mix all ingredients except for icing ingredients in large bowl. Blend on medium and high speeds until mostly smooth. Grease 13x9x2 inch pan (I used 2 round cake pans and it came out great as a double layer) generously (this cake tends to stick). Pour batter in pan/s evenly. Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes depending on elevation and your oven. Test with toothpick - when it comes out clean in the center, the cake is done. Let cake cool before you ice.

Cream all icing ingredients together in large bowl. Use blender on medium and low speeds until smooth and creamy. Spread evenly on cake.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have an easier recipe for poppyseed cake that is absolutely wonderful!
1 box yellow cake mix
1 pkg.(3.4 oz.) instant coconut cream puddin mix
1 c water
1/2 c veg. oil
3 eggs
2 Tbs. poppy seeds

Combine first 5 ingredients in a mixing bowl and beat on low speed until moistened. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Stir in poppy
seeds. Pour into greased and floured bundt pan and bake at 350 for 45-55 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 min. before removing. Dust with confectioners sugar.rhntr