Friday, September 16, 2005

Ammie's Unbeatable Beef Stroganoff

I had the most wonderful melt-in-your-mouth Stroganoff last night at my friend Ammie's house. It was so good, I had seconds, and I am not a beef girl. This happens to be one of my husband's favorite meals. I have never found a recipe that was: a) better than the restaurants make it, and b) worthy of making twice. And I should add... one that doesn't have catsup in it! So, if you are looking for a great comfort food that will make it seem like you slaved (ok, it isn't really quick - you will have to work some) all day... this is the ONE! It's a man thing!

  • 1.5 lbs. top sirloin steak
  • 1.5 tsp. salt
  • 1/8 tsp. garlic salt
  • 1/2 tsp. paprika
  • 1/8 tsp. pepper
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1/2 sm. onion, diced
  • 1/2 pkg. fresh sliced mushrooms
  • 1/2 cup merlot
  • 2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 cup water
  • 2 beef bouillon cubes
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 3/4 cup sour cream
Trim fat from steak. Cut steak into 3/4 inch cubes. Mix salt, garlic salt, paprika and pepper in a large bowl. Toss steak in spice mixture. Melt butter in a large deep skillet. Brown steak in butter on high heat, stirring frequently until most liquid has evaporated (about 20 minutes). Add onion and cook until tender (3-4 minutes). Add wine and continue to cook over medium-high heat until mostly evaporated. Add Worcestershire Sauce. Heat water and bouillon and add meat. Add bay leaf. Cover and reduce heat. Simmer on low for 1.5 hrs. Add sour cream and heat through, stirring constantly.

Serve over noodles, rice, or creamed and buttered mashed potatoes.

2 comments:

Sprittibee said...

I cooked Ammie's Stroganoff last night for Kevin for the first time. He had THREE helpings of it. I didn't have the merlot, so I used sherry instead. Turned out fine anyway. I also would double the meat spices and add four tablespoons of flour to coat the meat before you fry it. It adds a nice thickness to the sauce when you throw the leftover flour and spices in the butter as well. I LOVE this recipe.

Brianna said...

Yoour the best