Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Lebonese Tomato Cucumber Salad with Feta

The original recipe is here, but the Feta is my husband Kevin's addition... and this recipe is so good, we have had it for lunch, then MADE it again for dinner later! What an awesome way to get your veggies in! Funny thing is, my husband HATES tomatoes, yet he loves this salad! He had it in Kuwait City and has been hooked since. We buy our feta (which actually means "slice" and not cheese) by the block at bulk stores because you can get a harder consistency that way. I don't like smooshy feta. No sir.

Salatet Khiar mah Banadoora
  • 1 med. onion (sliced in rings) * Kev uses a red onion and chops it finely
  • 6 tomatoes (cubed) *Kev cubes them very tiny
  • 2 cucumbers (sliced) *Kev peels them also
  • 1/4 cup parsley (finely chopped) *Kev uses the food processor
  • 2 Tbsp. chopped mint (optional) *Kev uses only 1 Tbsp dried
  • 1 Lebonese Salad Dressing (see recipe)
  • Cubed or crumbled Feta (to taste)

Directions: Place all ingredients in salad bowl. Add dressing. Toss well. *Now how easy is that?!

Compliments of "A Taste of Lebanon: Cooking Today the Lebanese Way" by Mary Salloum

1 comment:

Sprittibee said...

Variation - I made this today for my husband to take to his company luncheon. I made it without the Feta (on accident). He said he had to work 30 minutes into lunch and tried to get some when he got there... and he got the last spoonful! In other words, everyone loved it, and it dissapeared before lunch was half way over. I sliced the onions in half-rings this time as it has a milder onion flavor when you cut the pieces longer rather than tiny. I have yet to use fresh mint, either. I am sure that would add even another new dimension to the dish. Enjoy!