Saturday, February 20, 2010

The Cake I Didn't Have to Bake



Last week, my oldest turned 13. I asked him what he wanted to eat for his birthday. He told me he wanted my Sesame Chicken Fingers and Asian Fried Rice. I was happy to make it for him - despite the substitutions I had to make (crackers that had nuts and seeds in them instead of sesame seeds - because we were out). It came out great.



So did Morgan's cake she baked him. It was delicious - a boxed yellow cake with chocolate icing, sprinkles and dark chocolate chips. Yumm!

I'm never one to turn my nose up at boxed cakes. Or any cake, for that matter.

I was too tired after our long day and cooking dinner to make a cake. He had said he really didn't want one. He wanted chocolate chip cookies (like mama, like son), so his sister promised to make him those the next day - but she insisted he have a cake for his birthday.

She baked it at 8pm and we had cake after 10pm - with milk (of course); a bedtime snack for a birthday boy.



He got some spending money and gift certificates from his grandparents. As a surprise treat, I gave him a little dogtag necklace I had made with his original drawing for my blog... and promised to take him to Fuddruckers the next night. Fuddruckers is his favorite burger place besides Stax in the Gaylord Opryland Hotel in TN... and Mighty Fine here in Austin (like mama, like son).



My little homemaker 11 year old has turned out to be a great help in the kitchen and she certainly has talent with baking. She makes us cookies all the time, too. I love it when she cooks and bakes.

If only I could stop time so they could be young and baking with mom at home forever. I can't imagine a kitchen without them.


Subscribe to Gathering Manna by Email

2 comments:

Shannon Wallace said...

Happy Birthday to your son!! Ahh, they do grow up way too fast, don't they? I can't imagine a day without my boys here with me either. :o) What a blessing our children are to us mamas. :)

Meesa said...

I lalu mommy - I hope you liked my cake!