Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Enchilada Pie

This is surprisingly better tasting than it sounds. In fact, I would have NEVER made it had it not been for a moment of sheer foodlessness. We were eating out of cans and I just happened to have all of the ingredients. I share it with you folks who may want to whip up a REALLY QUICK recipe for a POTLUCK that will please a hungry crowd.

  • 1 lb. hamburger meat

  • 1/2 cup chopped onion - optional

  • 1 can cream of chicken soup

  • 1 can Mild HATCH Enchilada Sauce (I like Medium - a little spicy!)

  • 1 can chopped green chili peppers

  • 1/2 bag of PLAIN Doritos (or Tostitos/other brand, but I like the Doritos)

  • 2 cups grated cheddar cheese

  • handful of chopped olives - optional
  • Brown meat with onion until done. Mix soup, sauce and chili peppers and warm over heat in sauce pan. Add meat and stir together. Grease a casserole pan (the larger you have, the fewer layers you'll need) and layer ingredients (except HATCH sauce). I use a large rectangular pan and do one layer of chips on bottom, then the meat and soup mixture, and then one layer of chips on top. After your layers are complete, open can of HATCH and pour evenly over top layer of chips. Cover with cheese and sprinkle with olives. Heat in 375 degree oven until cheese is melted. I usually bake for 30 minutes until bubbling. Let cool and serve with salad and tea!

    Original recipe was given to me by Ettie M.

    No comments: