Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Sweet Spinach Salad & Dressing

This recipe is from another blogger, who I happened upon by accident. There are so many great Christian blogs out there! The funniest thing about the recipe is that Cindy (the blogger who shared it) made the comment that this particular salad was “outstinkingstanding!” – and now I've added that word to my list of favorites.

My husband calls this a “CHICK” salad. I would have to agree. The home-made dressing is very sweet, and drippy. I would seriously decrease (half or less) the dressing recipe if you only have a family of four eating salad (unless you plan on keeping it to use later). I drowned my salad last time, and it was a little too sweet, but OH, so GOOD! I absolutely loved the salad and dressing… but maybe my husband was right - you should take this to a homeschool mom’s co-op party or a church potluck instead of making it for your husband and boys!


"The Very Best Spinach Salad Recipe"
(According to Cindy Swanson)

SALAD INGREDIENTS:
12 cups torn spinach
8 green onions, chopped
6 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
1 8oz can water chestnuts, drained (optional – I left this out)
8 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled (or canned bacon bits if you MUST)

DRESSING INGREDIENTS:
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup sugar (I would use slightly less)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground mustard
1 tsp. grated onion
1 cup vegetable oil

INSTRUCTIONS:
In large bowl, mix first six ingredients to make the salad. Toss well. In a medium sized bowl, combine the dressing ingredients (except oil) and stir until well-blended (Cindy says to use a blender for this). Gradually add oil and blend well. Either serve dressing already tossed with salad, or on the side.

Serves 10-12

No comments: