Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Golden Banana Nut Bread

In case you are like us, you probably have three nearly rotten bananas sitting around on your counter at least once every two weeks. Well, here's a great way to use them up and enjoy them - even long after those peels are a bit black here and there. I have made a few recipes of banana bread, and this one has been my favorite. It has a nice yellow color to it, and it's rich and yummy. The best way to serve it is warm with butter... but my family will eat it any way you serve it.

I got this recipe by searching the internet when I was in a pinch for time and couldn't look up my family recipe. I'm glad I printed it, since I tried to look it up and couldn't find it tonight. The original owner was Elizabeth Powell. Thanks Elizabeth - whoever you are!

INGREDIENTS:
3/4 cup butter
1.5 cups sugar
1.5 cups mashed bananas (two or three nearly "gonners")
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup buttermilk (we have used half-and-half because we hardly ever have buttermilk handy)
3/4 cup nuts - finely chopped (pecans are the favorite)

Cream together butter and sugar. Add bananas, eggs and vanilla. Sift together dry ingredients and add alternately with the buttermilk/cream to the same bowl. Stir in the nuts and pour into a greased and floured loaf pan (or a few of them - depending on the size you are making). Bake at 325 degrees for 1.25 hours.

Technorati Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

No comments: