Sunday, January 22, 2006

Lebanese Spicy Potatoes

I made this last night with our Indian Cuisine, so you don't have to limit this dish to Lebanese dinners. My children loved them and cleaned the pan (despite the spice). I believe that the recipe source on the internet where I got this particular recipe is no longer available, so although I may link to the site, I doubt you can see the recipe anymore (I tried last night and couldn't). I have adapted the recipe for our tastes.

Batata Harrah
(Spicy Potatoes)

Serves 3-4

INGREDIENTS:
About five small or four large potatoes, skinned and diced
Oil for frying (about one inch covering pan)
3 cloves garlic crushed
1 tbsp ground coriander
2 tbsp fresh chopped coriander (we didn't have this)
1/4 tsp chili powder
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tbsp ketchup
1/4 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp mixed spices
1 tbsp oil
salt and pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS:
Heat frying oil in large skillet. Dice and deep fry potatoes until golden brown, removing them to drain on a paper towel-lined plate. Pour out all except one tablespoon of the oil. Heat oil in same skillet until hot. Mix together garlic and rest of ingredients (EXCEPT POTATOES) in a small bowl. Pour into hot oiled pan and stir while cooking until fragrant (about one minute). Toss in potatoes and stir until coated with seasonings. Simmer until heated through (if they have sat long enough to get cold while you are cooking other things) and serve.

Recipe compliments of Lebanese Recipes.

9 comments:

sailu said...

Thanks so much for sharing this lebanose recipe.I love Lebonese food.I am gonna try this,have all the ingredients on hand.
Btw,loved your daughter's outfit and the medivial concept..:)

Sprittibee said...

Thanks so much for the comments, Sailu. It made me glad to know that someone from India would actually EAT my Indian food. :) We absolutely love Indian Cuisine. It is soooo expensive here in America, though. I hope to go over to visit one day there. We have a little boy we sponsor that is about twelve years old. I would like to finally meet him.

Kathryn said...

I love your recipes. May I link to your blog?

Sprittibee said...

I'd love for you to link to the blog. Go right ahead. That's nice of you to ask permission, but not necessary. :) Thanks for the compliments.

Kathryn said...

Thanks. I made these potatoes last night for dinner and my husband loved them. We have a wonderful Middle Eastern restaurant/grocery here in Greenville that I get a lot of spices at and eat at occasionally. I'm learning to cook Middle Eatern food, so I don't go so often anymore. Have you posted the Cucumber-Tomato Salad Recipe yet? I want to get the Lebanese cookbook you mentioned a while ago in another post.

Sprittibee said...

Yes, I've got the Lebanese Salad and Dressing posted - just type in "Lebanese" in the search box and hopefully it will take you there. Let me know if you have trouble finding it. My posts are also listed by category at delicious if you click the tab in my sidebar that says "Posts by Topic".

Glad you liked the potatoes. They are really simple and although they weren't as spicy as I might have liked, my kids loved them! It is hard when cooking Indian foods to get a balance with the spices... to make it edible for everyone in the family (even our picky eaters).

Sprittibee said...

Oh, by the way... if you buy the book, please do so through my link! :)

Anonymous said...

Fresh Coriander is also called "Cilantro"
Coriander are the seeds
Cilantro is the leafy pieces.

Anonymous said...

hi what is the "mixed spices" I am going to make this dish and ran into the mixed spices and don't quite know what that is......thank you