Friday, July 21, 2006

Skinny Skinless Jerked Chicken

This Caribbean dish leans toward sweet and spicy (but isn't hot). You can serve it with pigeon peas like the recipe book suggests (but black-eyed peas or crowder peas also work well). You only need to marinade the meat for 20 minutes, so it's fine to start just a few extra minutes early. This dish has a flavor that is very different. We don't eat much Caribbean food, so it is nice to change things up with it once and a while.

INGREDIENTS
2 tbsp chopped onions
4 tsp fresh thyme or 1 tsp dried
2 tsp salt
2 tsp ground nutmeg
4 tsp sugar
2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
4 x 6 oz chicken breasts, boned, skinned, and fat cut off
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp oil

INSTRUCTIONS
Combine onion, thyme, salt, nutmeg, sugar and black pepper in a bowl or food processor. Prick chicken breasts with knife point and place in non-reactive bowl and rub mixture on each side (you can also cube the chicken before marinating which is what I usually do). Refrigerate for 20 minutes (even less if you really are pressed for time - I've done that before, too). Heat butter in skillet that will accommodate all the chicken in one single layer. Add chicken and gently sauté on each side for 5 to 10 minutes, depending on thickness. The chicken is done when juices run clear. *I like to over-cook a bit and get it more browned or seared on the outside. Mmmmm good.


From Creole Cooking - The Taste of the Tropical Islands by Sue Mullin


Technorati Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yum! This looks very tasty. It's simple to follow too!

Sprittibee said...

Toni - this isn't my favorite of the website, for sure... but it is a different taste when you want to shake things up a bit. I am keeping all my favorites that I have tried from all the numerous recipes I have in books, binders, church cookbooks, and cards/papers from relatives... to make them easier to find. I have so much piled up by way of recipes that sometimes I can't remember what book they are from, so when I find a good one, I post it here and walla! I can find it again later! It also is nice to share them with friends. Hope you can find a few in here that you enjoy. Thanks again for stopping in to comment. If you ever do cook one of the recipes in here, let me know what you think or what you changed about it... :)!