Thursday, January 04, 2007

My Husband's Buttermilk Pancakes

WARNING: This recipe will RUIN your diet!

I'll admit it. I'm a Bisquick pancake girl. I love the recipe on the back of the Bisquick box and have made those since I was a girl. My mother made them before me. I think my grandmother even used that recipe. Well, my husband decided that since I'm such a pain in the rear about not eating WHITE breads, he would go 'health-nut' on me and try to go back to basics with pancake mixes. He started making pancakes from scratch using whole wheat and healthy flours. We have tried a lot of different flours (rice, buckwheat, whole wheat, oat, etc) and you really have to experiment to see what works best for your family. Just be forewarned that you should most likely start by doing a half-and-half mix of what you are used to and the new healthier stuff... so you don't go in to shock and ruin a perfectly good Saturday morning meal! You can even make a bunch of these and freeze them for easy warm-up later when you are in a hurry. They are a bit heavy due to the buttermilk, but they really are tasty and it makes you feel good to know that there's no hidden powdered Crisco mixed in and the ingredients are ALL natural!

Ingredients
2 cups flour (non-bleached, non-bromated, organic if possible - be creative!)
1/4 cup sugar
2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
2 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup melted unsalted butter (we use salted butter)
1 cup blueberries (optional - we usually don't use these)

Instructions
Sift flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Beat eggs with buttermilk and melted butter. Combine dry and wet ingredients into a lumpy batter (do not over-mix). Heat some butter on a skillet on medium heat. Spoon 1/3 cup batter on skillet and cook until browned and firm on each side. Repeat butter on skillet and 1/3 cup batter, flipping each pancake until batter is used up. Eat warm with syrup (100% pure Maple is best!) and butter or freeze and re-warm.

Be sure to eat them with a little scrambled eggs and baked turkey bacon on the side so you don't have a carb crash later in the day!

* Variation (my favorite way to make them): mix in 1/4 cup of chopped pecans, a tblsp. of brown sugar, and tsp. of vanilla for a mouthwatering 'Southern' twist.


Technorati Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

No comments: