Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Not Such a Gardening Success



Something was just not right about the watermelon we grew. It was growing fine, but suddenly it started getting soft in one spot. I figured we might as well bring it in since it looked as if it might wither on the vine if we didn't. I was so hoping to find juicy pink flesh when we cut the little guy open. Nothing but a pale fleshy color and some under ripe seeds was inside.




My poor little girl. She was devastated. After watching it grow since June, she had to just go ahead and eat it anyway. I guess it is time to cave in and pay the 4$ at Wal-Mart to get her a sweet, ripe one.

We still have one more melon outside that hasn't been pulled. Maybe if we give it a while longer it will ripen. In fact, I haven't checked on it for a week or longer. It is hiding in tall grass. I should go out and see about it tomorrow. I'll let you know if we get a sweet one next time!


Subscribe to Gathering Manna by Email

Technorati Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

No comments: