Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Jessie's 4 O'Clock School-Day Goulash

My grandma had this on the table many a day when my mom and her three sisters got off the school bus and ran inside (hence the name in the title above). Goulash is such a wierd name, but that's what my family has always called this dish. It is a really wonderful dish, so don't let the name scare you off. It was one of the most requested items my grandmother cooked. It managed to make it into the family cook book more than once, from different fans in different generations. We all miss Mawmaw and wish she were here to cook it for us again!

  • 1 1/2 - 2 lb.s ground chuck (I use less than a pound)
  • 1 cup rice (long grain)
  • 1 tbsp. cooking oil
  • 1/2 bell pepper, chopped
  • 1/4 onion, chopped (I use at least a half or a small whole)
  • 1 tblsp. mustard (dijon works nice if you like the flavor)
  • 1/4 cup mild picante sauce (I use medium)
  • dash or two of katchup (magic ingredient!)
  • peeled, seeded, and chopped jalapeno (optional - usually left out)
  • salt and pepper to taste

Heat oil in iron skillet, add rice and slowly brown. Add meat and brown. Add remaining ingredients. Add just enough water to cover. Cover skillet and let cook on medium (if you aren't using iron skillet - simmer instead) until water is absorbed (about ten minutes). Fluff rice with fork. Serve with cornbread.

No comments: