Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Quick and Easy Taco Pie

This is from my email folders of recipes I have saved over the years. I think I wrote it in 2002 or 2003. I haven't made this a while, but I need to! I originally made this because it sounded a lot like Grandma Betty's Mexican dip she always brings to parties.

  • 1 box Jiffy Corn Bread is what I used, but the recipe called for 1/3 cup bisquick

  • 1 cup cheddar or Mexican shredded cheese

  • 3 eggs 1/4 cup milk (I used goat milk, but any will do)

  • 1 small can green chillies - I only used 1/2 can

  • 1 small tomato - chopped shredded lettuce (I used romaine)

  • 1 lb ground beef

  • 1/2 cup chopped fresh or frozen onions

  • 1 pkg. taco seasoning (or to taste)

  • 1 small container of sour cream

  • Cilantro (optional - I added)

  • Black olives (slice them in circles)


Brown meat with onion. Preheat oven to 400. Grease or spray 10 inch pie plate (glass or corning is great). Mix corn bread/bisquick mix, eggs, and milk in bowl and set aside.

Meanwhile, chop or prepare lettuce, olives and cilantro. Set salad stuff on table in serving bowls.

Drain meat, pour in Taco seasoning and stir. Simmer another few minutes to mix flavor in. Remove meat and onion mixture from stove and pour into baking dish as bottom layer of casserole. Pour prepared batter over meat layer. Spread evenly. Bake 20-25 minutes.

Remove from oven and sprinkle tomatos and cheese on top. Cook for another 10 minutes (I just let it melt on top because the cornbread was browned already and cooked through). Test cornbread with toothpick to make sure it is cooked through. Remove from oven, cool slightly and serve with lettuce/cilantro, diced olives and sour cream.

Serves 4-5 people.

Serving suggestion: Great with salsa, chips, iced tea and sliced fresh or pickled jalapenos.

No comments: