Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Ammie's Beef Broth Stew

My friend Ammie is an excellent cook. She gave me this recipe the last time I visited her house. I thought it was a timely one with the fall weather blowing in with it's cool temperatures. I can't wait to try it. Let me know what you think if you cook it - leave a comment in my comment section! Ammie gave me the recipe, but didn't give me amounts for the items for the most part. I am adding a few in, but you can play with it as you see fit!

Ammie's Beef Broth Stew
  • Top sirloin (.75-1 lb) - cut fat/cube
  • Flour (enough to coat meat well)
  • Salt (to taste - use in meat coating and after stew has thickened)
  • Pepper (to taste - use in meat coating and after stew has thickened)
  • Paprika (to taste - use in meat coating)
  • Olive Oil (thin layer across bottom of pan)
  • 1 Onion - diced
  • 1/2 - 1 cup Red cooking wine
  • 1-4 potatoes (peeled and cubed)
  • 1-2 carrots (peeled and chopped... don't use too many because it will overpower stew)
  • 1 stalk celery (chopped)
  • (optional: corn, green beans, peas)
  • 2 fresh tomatoes (skinned and chopped)
  • 1-2 bay leaves (per taste)
  • Beef broth or bouillon (Knorr Caldo con Sabor de Res) - not sure how much Ammie used?

Toss cubed steak with flour, salt, pepper and paprika (coat well). Fry (sauté) in olive oil with diced onion (and finely chopped celery also - sometimes finely chopping the celery will fool your green-veggie-hating kiddos!). Chop veggies while you brown meat and add them to pan (except tomato). Add red wine after meat is nice and browned. Add chopped tomatoes and beef broth or bouillon. Add bay leaf (leaves). Partially cover (leave a vent hole or lid ajar). Simmer 2-3 hours at least to allow for thickening, stirring occasionally. Taste for salt and pepper - add to taste.

Serves 4 or 5 (generously)

No comments: