Sunday, October 09, 2005

Soy-Garlic Chicken

I always have looked for recipes for oriental chicken because I absolutely LOVE fried rice, and I make my own, because I like to know what is in it. I am partial to my husband and my fried rice now, and prefer it over the restaurant version. I tried a new chicken recipe that was in my family cookbook on my mom's side, and marinated it over night, and it turned out pretty good. The KIDS loved it - that is the kicker. I get excited when we make things the kids like to eat. They are not too picky, but I like to know they are enjoying the foods we eat - even though they are troopers and put up with our international tastes more often than not.

Soy-Garlic Chicken

INGREDIENTS:
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce

  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil

  • 2 tblsp ketchup

  • 1 tblsp vinegar

  • 4 cloves garlic (minced) - I used the kind in the jar

  • 1/4 tsp pepper - you could put more to taste if you like

  • 4 skinned and boned chicken breast halves (I cut 2 large breasts up and cut them into smaller pieces since hubby was not home, and we had a few chunks left over)

INSTRUCTIONS:
  • Combine all ingredients except chicken in zip-lock bag (SO EASY!)

  • Clean, trim, cut, and drop chicken in zip-lock bag (SO EASY!)

  • Zip bag up and marinade in fridge for 4 hours (or overnight - but prepare for it to be a bit saltier if you do overnight - still very good, though!)

  • Heat large skillet or fire up the grill outside (too cold, so we did skillet method)

  • Pour contents of ziplock on heated pan and cook chicken until slightly seared on edges and well done (SO EASY!)

  • OR grill covered by lid over medium fire (350-400) - cook each side 12 minutes
Serves 4

Compliments of my aunt Margaret!

      1 comment:

      Sprittibee said...

      Oops. My bad. :) Well, now the cat's out of the bag. Hope to see you popping in now and then. I never get comments in here... or reviews on my recipes... so I didn't think anyone was really reading it. I don't care, though. It's my online catalogue of favorites that I can get to anywhere, and a nice way to refer someone to a favorite without having to re-type it over and over (or find it in a mountain of emails).

      I do love to cook... when I have a kitchen.