Friday, April 06, 2007

Hearts of Palm Salad

I suppose this is a French salad. I have a friend who is French and she adores hearts of palm. I really like this salad, but my husband says it is a "chick-thing". The home-made dressing is sweet and tangy. I have no idea where the recipe came from (probably the internet or a long-forgotten cook-book collecting dust on my shelves). I always leave out the green olives (or substitute capers or sliced canned black olives), but if you are a green olive nut, by all means... leave them in! Enjoy!

1/3 c. salad oil
1 tsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. aromatic bitters
2 tbsp. finely chopped stuffed green olives
1 (14 oz.) can hearts of palm, drained, sliced
2 tbsp. lemon juice
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. paprika
1 tbsp. finely chopped onion
1 tbsp. finely chopped celery
6 c. torn Bibb lettuce

Combine salad oil, lemon juice, sugar, salt, bitters, paprika, olives, onion, and celery; beat well.

Chill. At serving time toss together hearts of palm and lettuce in salad bowl. Add dressing and toss.

Makes 6 servings.


Technorati Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

No comments: