Sunday, April 01, 2007

Quick Red Cabbage for the Cabbage Junkie



Want to know what I ate for dinner tonight? RED CABBAGE. Cooked to perfection. Nothing else. I had a half of a head of it in the fridge, looking so sad and lonely... so I went online and found an AMAZING FOOD BLOG with this wonderful recipe. I scanned her comments section and gathered up a few tips from the readers as well. Below is my tweaked version of The Recipe.

Now I know I have some Polish in me somewhere. Or is that Austrian? Or German? My husband is 1/2 Czech and his family jokes that I am more Slavic than he is. Maybe they are right? Just hand over the cabbage and nobody gets hurt!

Quick Red Cabbage for the Cabbage Junkie
...tweaked from "Sweet and Sour Red Cabbage" by Elise Bauer (and readers)

1/8 cup (1/4 stick) butter
1/2 red cabbage head, thinly sliced (about 6 cups)
2.5 Tbsp brown sugar
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1 clove garlic minced or finely chopped
salt and pepper to taste

Melt the butter in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add cabbage and sauté until slightly wilted, about 3 minutes. Add sugar, toss to coat evenly. Add vinegar. Reduce heat to low; simmer until cabbage is tender, stirring often, about 5-10 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Serves 1 cabbage-freak-who's-eating-nothing-else-for-dinner (or 4 small-sized side-servings). You be the judge.

P.S. I love you Elise! So do my kids (who didn't have to eat any of it except for one bite... you see, you saved them from eating that "nasty-looking red stuff" because Mommy liked it too much to share).


Technorati Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

No comments: