Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Weekly Menu and a Grocery Store Recipe

Man... what a sad state this is. I almost missed posting in September over here! Part of my problem was pregnancy (I only just recently was able to start cooking and eating again after the nausea went away). The other problem is that school and extra curricular activities have taken over my life. Blogging has been pretty busy, too. We have done a redesign on the Homeschool Post and are gearing up for the Homeschool Blog Awards over there - which is very taxing on my free time!

So I thought I would stop in today with a token September post here at Gathering Manna. I remembered the blog yesterday when I posted my lunch meme over at Sprittibee. I'm calling all homeschool moms to share photos of their lunches on my linky there. Head over and play if you have a digital camera and a homeschool blog.

For today, I'm just sharing the menu for the rest of the week (and possibly beyond). Last night I flaked out and we ate at Chick-Fil-A. I had a colossal headache and needed a Dr. Pepper. We really can't afford to eat out. I got a tiny check in the mail and we had to go deposit it (Thank you Jesus!) - just in the nick of time. It is always like this before payday... white knuckles and edge of the seat wondering how God will pull us through until the direct deposit goes through. And He always does. Somehow.

So what is on the menu?


Tuesday lunch: McDonald's (right before we go to Choir, Keepers & Art today)
Tuesday dinner: Greek Lentil and Orzo Pasta, Hummus, Pita, Tea

Wednesday breakfast: Bacon, eggs, toast, juice
Wednesday lunch: Turkey sausage, sour kraut, peas, rice
Wednesday dinner: Tacos, Spanish rice, refried beans

Thursday breakfast: cereal, juice
Thursday lunch: tuna sandwiches (soup for kids - they won't eat tuna)
Thursday dinner: Bada-bing chicken, salad, pasta with white sauce

Friday breakfast: cream of wheat, toast, juice
Friday lunch: tomato soup and grilled cheese, water
Friday dinner: lasagna, Greek salad, tea

Saturday breakfast: pancakes, bacon, eggs, juice, Italian hazelnut latte
Saturday lunch: skip
Saturday dinner: Sesame chicken fingers, Thai fried rice

Sunday breakfast: breakfast bars, chocolate milk
Sunday lunch: OUT after church
Sunday dinner: Baked potatoes in small group (my job is to take the sour cream)


So that's the menu for the week. I'll probably need to pick up feta cheese, a head of lettuce, some buttermilk for the pancakes, Asian sesame seeds and pita bread. Thankfully, we have the rest of the groceries at home, I think. Things have gotten so expensive.

Next week I need to remember to include a roasted chicken (which I have frozen and got on sale), soup for lunch, and that Mexican casserole that I got a recipe for at the grocery store. OH! And the sweet potato leek soup recipe that I scratched on the back of my grocery list in the check-out-aisle. Man that sounded really good, and there was no way I was paying 5$ for the magazine!

Here's that fat-burning, healthy, fall recipe (which I borrowed and altered slightly):

Sweet Potato Leek Soup

1-2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
1/2-1 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup diced celery
2 minced garlic cloves
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp salt
8 cups of chicken broth
2 cups water
1/2 tsp dried oregano
4 cups chopped sweet potatoes
3 cups thin chopped leeks (stalks - not leaves)
1 heaping cup brussel sprouts (frozen or fresh)
1-2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley

1) heat oil, stir fry onion, celery, garlic, half of the salt and half of the pepper for 6 minutes or until browned

2) in another pot, heat broth, water, oregano, sweet potatoes. cover and boil.

3) once boiling, add sauteed veggies, leeks, brussels, parsley, rest of the salt and pepper. cover and simmer 25-30 minutes. remove from heat & partially mash the potatoes.

I'm always on the look-out for a good soup for the cooler weather. Home made soup is food for the soul.



Subscribe to Gathering Manna by Email

Technorati Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

No comments: