Friday, December 11, 2009

The Glorious Taco



I'm not sure I would be alive without tacos. I love breakfast tacos, meat tacos, and even my latest healthy lentil tacos. I might shrivel up and die if there were no such thing as tacos. So when you get a chance today, hug a Mexican. Tell them THANK YOU for their ingenious contribution to your menu.

I have found that everyone does Taco Night a little different. Being that I used to be a young kid who barely knew how to boil water when I got married, I figured I would share what I know about tacos - just in case someone out there needs to know... even though it seems really too easy to take up recipe-blog space. Who knows, maybe it might give someone out there who already knows how to cook some new ideas, too.

We make tacos about once a week or once every other week. I usually alternate them with Cheese Enchiladas or some other Mexican dish so that we can at least have Mexican (or Tex-Mex) one night a week.

FOR THE MEAT EATERS:

Everyone should know how to make tacos.

lean ground beef cooked with chopped onion
McCormick Taco Seasoning
pan-fried flour or corn tortillas (with butter or oil)
chopped lettuce
chopped tomato
shredded Mexican style cheese
sour cream

Serve with:
refried beans
Spanish rice



FOR THE BREAKFAST FANATIC:

Breakfast tacos are probably what Jesus eats now that he's in heaven.

eggs
butter
crisp thick bacon (fat chopped off)
pico de gallo (mixture of chopped onion, tomato, cilantro and jalapeno)
shredded cheese
warm, pan-fried flour tortillas (fried with a touch of butter)

Optional:
Salsa



FOR THE VEGETARIAN OR HEALTH-NUT:

A cow doesn't have to die for you to enjoy the yummy taste of a taco for dinner.

Lentil-Rice Casserole (with the right seasoning blend it subs as the meat)
Seasoning: Cumin, Coriander, Garlic, Salt, Pepper, Chili Powder, Jalapeno Tabasco, Onion, Cayenne...
pan-fried flour or corn tortillas (with butter or oil)
chopped lettuce
chopped tomato
shredded Mexican style cheese
sour cream

Serve with:
Dessert (because you saved some calories, right?)

Note: All tacos taste good with sweet tea. Not too sweet. Even breakfast tacos. Trust me. I know these things first hand.


Next up... what to do with Taco Leftovers...


Subscribe to Gathering Manna by Email

Technorati Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

1 comment:

Ali said...

Yummy! I want to try the lentil recipe.

Do you ever make your own tortillas? I'd like to find a good recipe for making homemade flour tortillas.

Ali